Highlights of St. Paul’s History
Shavertown / Dallas, Pennsylvania
The first service was held in the Shavertown School Building on March 15, 1925, and services were continued there until February 14, 1926.
The congregation was formally organized on May 10, 1925 when the Constitution was adopted and a Church Council elected.
One June 21, 1925, ground was purchased for the erection of a church building.
The Ground Breaking Service was held at nine o’clock on the morning of October 8, 1925.
On October 25, 1925, the cornerstone was laid.
Incorporation of the congregation was granted by charter by the Court of Luzerne County on November 18, 1925.
The first service was held in the new sanctuary February 14, 1926; the building was dedicated March 21, 1926.
A Call was extended to the Rev. G. Elson Ruff on March 28, 1926, and he became the first official pastor of St. Paul’s, serving until January 17, 1937.
The following pastors have also served our congregation:
The Reverend Herbert E. Frankfort, 1937 – 1947
The Reverend John R. Taylor, 1947 – 1948
The Reverend Frederick W. Moock, 1948 – 1952
The Reverend Frederic H. Eidam, 1952 – 1967
The Reverend William C. Bispels, 1968 – 1972
The Reverend Lynn H. Rothrock, 1973 – 1987
The Reverend Harold R. Baer, Jr., 1988 – 1996
The Reverend Robert Karl Bohm (Interim Pastor), 1996 – 1997
The Reverend Charles H. Grube, 1997 – Present
Ground was broken for the enlargement of the sanctuary and the construction of additional educational units on October 23, 1955.
The Re-Dedication of St. Paul’s new and enlarged church home took place on may 6, 1956.
In 1965, the present organ was acquired from the disbanded Swedish Lutheran Church of North Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
In 1990, as St. Paul’s celebrated its 65th anniversary, skilled organ restoration workers completed badly needed repairs on the organ and the congregation began to consider the needs of the church throughout the rest of the decade.
In 1993, the Congregation Council formed a Long Range Planning Committee to study the church’s future needs and on May 21, 1995, St. Paul’s took another significant, far-sighted step: the congregation voted to build a new church, thereby providing for continued growth in its many ministries, and the potential for providing new services to the community.